1 SPC Foundation in Levesville, France

            Shaken and moved by the prevalence of misery, poverty, ignorance and religious torpor of the congregation as a result of the Hundred Years War, Father Louis Chauvet, the parish priest of a little village, Levesville-la-Chenard, made a determined and unmistakably decisive endeavor to uplift the human and spiritual levels of his villagers. Having these services for his people in mind; to educate the young girls and to visit and care for the poor in the neighboring hamlets in 1695, Father Chauvet asked Marie Anne de Tilly, a young lady of the nobility to help him with his plans. Together with peasant girls of Beauce, their mission of charity was started. A small and dark room in the church served as their first classroom. Not long after, a restored house was renovated to accommodate the increasing number of girls. The “Daughters of the School” (as the first members were called) gratuitously persevered in their life of poverty and hard work. Soon after, the fraternal community was established as a religious order, later to be known as the SISTERS OF ST. PAUL OF CHARTRES (SPC).

2 SPC Foundation in the Philippines

            As the Congregation grew in number, calls to the mission were answered: Cayenne in French Guiana, Madagascar, Martinique and Guadalupe. It was in the early nineteenth century that the Congregation responded to the call of the Far East; Hongkong in 1848 and Vietnam in 1860. These were followed by missions in Japan, Korea and Thailand. The Philippine mission was started after the arrival of seven Sisters from Saigon who landed in Dumaguete on October 29, 1904.

3 SPC Foundation in San Miguel, Bulacan

            The SPC Foundation in San Miguel, Bulacan traces its roots to the incumbency of Rev. Father Honorio Resurreccion, parish priest (1936-1948), who believed that speed progress in Catholic education could only be achieved through the help of the Sisters. He requested Mother Alice de St. Paul Huchery, SPC Provincial Superior, to send Sisters to manage the College called Escuela Catolica. Five sisters arrived in San Miguel, Bulacan on May 23, 1938; Mother Agnes de Sainte Anne Couplan, first Superior of the community, Sister Juanita du Sacre Couer de la Paz, Sister Angel Joseph Parayno, Sister Luisa Martha Meris, and Sister Marie Remy Paredes, a novice.

Make a Free Website with Yola.